Thursday, October 6, 2016

Bill Parnell Awarded Citizen of the Year by Greater Derry/Londonderry Chamber of Commerce

By: Rory Parnell

My father moved to Derry in 1979. He had grown up in Virginia in a town called Falls Church, and then went to Boston University for college. He fell in love with the northeast, and after getting married moved to New Hampshire. There, he started a legacy as a community member who strove to help develop the Town of Derry. I was born a few years later and joined two brothers. We grew up in Derry and went to school here. Growing up, my father had many lessons for us to teach. He was always a proponent of setting a good example for us and working hard to develop us as people.  Now, looking back as an adult I can see now some of the sacrifices he made for us and the community.

When my father and I discuss the type of law firm we want to be, he often said we want to be lawyers who help those in the community but also make our own kid’s soccer practice. As we grew up, he coached our flag football teams, our soccer teams, and even moonlighted as a summer league hockey coach. He did this because he was needed not only by us, but by our teammates and our community. He coached so many teams and joined so many local sports boards and organizations that I don’t think I could list them without someone helping me. I always just expected that this was how it was, and this was normal. As I grew into adulthood, I realized just how much work he had to put in to be there for us and the community.

As Derry moved into the 21st century, my father was there. I remember we had the Main Street Corporation office in our old East Broadway office, and I remember how much he worked with them to help revitalize the image of downtown Derry. East and West Broadway did not look as it does now. We’ve become modernized and an example to other New Hampshire towns that investing in your community will pay off. He worked hard to develop the image of our community, and continues to do so to this day. He worked hard as president of the Chamber of Commerce and made some difficult decisions. These decisions were hard and took a strong person to make them. Yet, he volunteered to not only make them, but to be a target for those negatively affected. In the end, the community was much better for it, and he was content with that. Getting credit for his work was never something he focused on or sought out.  He was happy with knowing the results were good for those around him.

So, tonight at the Derry/Londonderry Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner he will be put in a spot that I do not believe he expected. He has been named Citizen of the Year for his tireless work in the community. As I think about the many years I’ve had the pleasure of calling him my father, I am happy to see him recognized. I was fortunate enough to be the one to call him and tell him that he was Citizen of the Year. His reaction was telling. He was speechless, which is something that does not happen often for a lawyer. He had to take a few moments to compose himself, as he felt honored to receive the award. The honor was not from getting the award itself, but from the recognition of the individuals and community members he worked hard to develop this community with. He put in countless hours volunteering for various community programs because he believed that is the way we need to act. We should be positive influences in our community, and strive to better those around us. This was its own reward to him, so being honored as Citizen of the Year meant a great deal to him because of those who chose him. These are his friends and fellow community members working side-by-side with him to make the community better.


To say I am proud of my father is obvious, but the fact the community is able to recognize his efforts means a great deal to myself and the rest of the firm here at Parnell, Michels & McKay. We are so happy to see him get this award tonight and join the list of so many other community members that have received this award in the past.  Tonight, he is named Citizen of the Year, and we are just plain proud of you, Dad. You set an example for all of us to achieve, and I hope we have many years left of working to make our community and the state of New Hampshire better than when we came to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment